Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Industrial Management, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Industrial Management, Central Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Because of the dissemination of Impulse Buying (IB) behavior in consumers its academic studies have increased over the last decade. Because in large stores, sales have to be increased, the behavior of consumers in IB to be taken into account by the researchers and managers of the stores. The purpose of this paper is to model agent-based the IB behavior of consumers (customers), with regards to the factors of discount and swarm in the purchase. In terms of executive purpose and with Agent-Based Modeling (ABM) approach, the present paper examines the existing reality of consumer IB behavior. This paper develops consumption models, examines and analyzes Consumer Behavior (CB) under the NetLogo software environment. In comparing the optimal points of discounts and sales volume in both discount and swarm-discount functions that lead the stores to maximize profits and sales volume simultaneously, it can be debated that with running this model (swarm-discount) stores would be gaining more sales by less discounts. Results could describe customer behavior by implementing discount and swarm factors. Understanding the customer behavior prepared the comparing possibility of customer behavior in store in each introduced mathematical model. The contributions could be considered in two points of view. On the applicable view, this research can provide the managers and decision makers with significant information, includes possibility of forecasting sales volume and incomes of any policies in stores, so the comparing of policies and strategies analysis would be possible. This method is rather less expensive, because of virtual environment nature. Users of this model can study other sections by changing the research assumptions.
- Vohs, K. D., & Faber, R. J. (2007). Spent resources: self-regulatory resource availability affects impulse buying. Journal of consumer research, 33(4), 537-547.
- Xiao, S. H., & Nicholson, M. (2013). A multidisciplinary cognitive behavioural framework of impulse buying: a systematic review of the literature. International journal of management reviews, 15(3), 333-356.
- Bayley, G., & Nancarrow, C. (1998). Impulse purchasing: a qualitative exploration of the phenomenon. Qualitative market research: an international journal, 1(2), 99-114.
- Kacen, J. J., & Lee, J. A. (2002). The influence of culture on consumer impulsive buying behavior. Journal of consumer psychology, 12(2), 163-176.
- Dittmar, H., Beattie, J., & Friese, S. (1996). Objects, decision considerations and self-image in men's and women's impulse purchases. Acta psychologica, 93(1-3), 187-206.
- Ji, M. F., & Wood, W. (2007). Purchase and consumption habits: not necessarily what you intend. Journal of consumer psychology, 17(4), 261-276.
- Silvera, D. H., Lavack, A. M., & Kropp, F. (2008). Impulse buying: the role of affect, social influence, and subjective wellbeing. Journal of consumer marketing, 25(1), 23-33.
- Sharma, P., Sivakumaran, B., & Marshall, R. (2009). Exploring impulse buying in services vs. products–towards a common conceptual framework. Association for consumer research (ACR) Asia-pacific conference. http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11937/75126
- Ghafari Ashtiani, P., & Mohajerani, N. S. (2019). Role of music in encouragement of shopping. Journal of business administration researches, 10(20), 153-167.
- Cakanlar, A., & Nguyen, T. (2018). The influence of culture on impulse buying. Journal of consumer marketing, 36(1), 12-23.
- Azar, A., Mashayekhi, M., Amiri, M., & Safari, H. (2021). Modeling steel supply chain and estimating its consumption through ABM methodology. Journal of industrial management perspective, 11(1), 33-52.
- Mehregan, M. R., Aboie Ardakan, M., Sadeqi Arani, Z., Nazari, M., & Roozmand, O. (2016). Simulation of impulse buying behavior in market: a agent-based modeling approach. Modiriat-e-farda, 48(15), 35-64.
- Hasasi, N., Samani, S., & Totonchi, M. (2017). Application of fuzzy logic in investigating the effect of external and internal factors on sudden purchase. New research approaches in management and accounting, 3(1), 63-75. (In Persian). http://majournal.ir/index.php/ma/article/view/29
- Naemi, A., Mohamadipour, M., & Naghdi, B. (2017). Investigating the immediate purchasing behavior of customers in chain stores. Business management, 34(9), 119-138. (In Persian). http://bmj.iauctb.ac.ir/article_538006.html
- Iberahim, H., Zulkurnain, N. A. Z., Shah, R. N. S. R. A., & Rosli, S. Q. (2020). Visual merchandising and customers’ impulse buying behavior: a case of a fashion specialty store. International journal of service management and sustainability, 4(1), 1-24.
- Mathur, S. (2019). A review of impulse buying behavior: definition & affecting factors. Journal of emerging technologies and innovative research, 6, 270-275.
- Sermboonsang, R., Tansuhaj, P. S., Silpakit, C., & Chaisuwan, C. (2020). Mindfulness-based transformational learning for managing impulse buying. Journal of education for business, 95(2), 129-137.
- Zafar, A. U., Qiu, J., Li, Y., Wang, J., & Shahzad, M. (2021). The impact of social media celebrities' posts and contextual interactions on impulse buying in social commerce. Computers in human behavior, 115, 106178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2019.106178
- Zheng, X., Men, J., Yang, F., & Gong, X. (2019). Understanding impulse buying in mobile commerce: An investigation into hedonic and utilitarian browsing. International journal of information management, 48, 151-160.
- Fazeli Veisari, E., Taghipourian, M. J., Tavoli, R., & Ghanbarzadeh, Gh. (2020). Optimization of viral marketing in online businesses using genetic algorithm based decision tree. Journal of decisions & operations research, 5(2), 167-187. (In Persian). http://www.journal-dmor.ir/article_118822_d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.pdf
- Hayat, K., Jianjun, Z., Zameer, H., & Iqbal, S. (2020). Understanding the influence of corporate social responsibility practices on impulse buying. Corporate social responsibility and environmental management, 27(3), 1454-1464.
- Hayu, R., Surachman, S., Rofiq, A., & Rahayu, M. (2020). The effect of website quality and government regulations on online impulse buying behavior. Management science letters, 10(5), 961-968.
- Hosseini, S. H., Zadeh, F. H., Shafiee, M. M., & Hajipour, E. (2020). The effect of price promotions on impulse buying: the mediating role of service innovation in fast moving consumer goods. International journal of business information systems, 33(3), 320-336.
- Kaveh, M., Saeida Ardakani, S., Shafiee, M., & Tabataba’i Nasab, S. M. (2020). Predicting and benchmarking the factors of customer attraction in insurance companies by the model of network data envelopment analysis and the theory of dynamics of bass publishing. Journal of decisions and operations research, 5(3), 382-401. (In Persian). http://www.journal-dmor.ir/article_120326.html?lang=en
- Hosein Panahi, H. & Soltanpanah, H. (2021). Investigating the effect of marketing on social networks with the mental image of customers of insurance companies in Kurdistan province. Innovation management and operational strategies, 2(2), 153-166. (In Persian). http://www.journal-imos.ir/article_132377.html
- Shahri Mejarshin, A., Rousta, A., & Naami, A. (2021). Investigating the effect of effective factors on actual purchase with the mediating role of purchase intention and the moderating role of Iranian product type. Innovation management and operational strategies, 2(1), 96-115. (In Persian). http://www.journal-imos.ir/article_129901.html?lang=en
- Foxall, G. R. (1992). The behavioral perspective model of purchase and consumption: From consumer theory to marketing practice. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 20(2), 189-198.
- Foxall, G. R. (1997). The emotional texture of consumer environments: a systematic approach to atmospherics. Journal of economic psychology, 18(5), 505-523.
- Azar, A., & Faraji, H. (2010). Fuzzy management science. Mehraban Book Institute.
- Nagle, T.T., & Holden, R. K. (2013). The strategy and tactics of pricing: a guide of profitable decision making. Taylor & Francis.
- Dawes, J. (2004). Assessing the impact of a very successful price promotion on brand, category and competitor sales. Journal of product & brand management, 13(5), 303-314.
- Blattberg, R. C., Briesch, R., & Fox, E. J. (1995). How promotion works. Marketing science, 14(3), 122-132. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.14.3.G122
- Montgomery, D. C., & Runger, G. C. (2010). Applied statistics and probability for engineers. John Wiley & Sons.
- Banos, A., Lang, C., & Marilleau, N. (2015). Agent-based spatial simulation with Netlogo(Vol. 1). Elsevier.
- Gilbert, N. (2019). Agent-based models(Vol. 153). Sage Publications.