Document Type : Research Paper
Pyame Noor Tehran-North University, Hamedan, Iran,
One of the most important issues in financial, economic, and accounting matters is the phenomenon of bankruptcy and its prediction. There is presented a hybrid method of Genetic Algorithm (GA) and Adaptive Neural-Fuzzy Network (ANFIS) model to evaluate predicting the bankruptcy of companies listed on the Tehran Stock Exchange. The statistical population of this research is the successful and bankrupt manufacturing companies in Tehran Stock Exchange and in this research, there is a different way as opposed to previous and purposeful research and all companies can prevent their possible bankruptcy with accurate forecasting. In this way, the statistical population includes 136 companies consisting of bankrupt and non-bankrupt companies. In order to construct prediction models, four variables were first selected: 1) independent sample t-test, 2) Correlation Matrix (CM), 3) Step-by-step Diagnostic Analysis (SDA), and 4) Principal Component Analysis (PCA). The final financial ratios were selected from 19 financial ratios that using selected financial ratios and a hybrid model of ANFIS and GA and the results of the proposed model and its comparison with the hybrid model of GA and Group Method of Data Handling (GMDH) shows the high capability of the proposed GA-ANFIS model in bankruptcy prediction modeling and its superiority over Group Method of Data Handling with GA-GMDH method. The results also show that the CM-GA-ANFIS model is known as the best model for predicting bankruptcy of companies listed on the Tehran Stock Exchange. The main reason for choosing the model (GA-ANFIS) is that in addition to the fact that for the first time a combination of two methods ANFIS and GA is used to predict the bankruptcy of companies, and also in none of the studies conducted in both areas which further highlights the need for the present study.
- Kumar, P. R., & Ravi, V. (2007). Bankruptcy prediction in banks and firms via statistical and intelligent techniques–A review. European journal of operational research, 180(1), 1-28
- Tsai, C. F. (2009). Feature selection in bankruptcy prediction. Knowledge-based systems, 22(2), 120-127.
- Newton, G. W. (2009). Bankruptcy and insolvency accounting, practice and procedure(Vol. 1). John Wiley & Sons.
- Fakhrehosseini, S. F., & Aghaei Meybodi, O. (2019). Prediction and identification of companies with high bankruptcy probability in Tehran stock exchange (different analysis of models). Journal of decisions and operations research, 4(2), 100-111. (In Persian). https://dx.doi.org/10.22105/dmor.2019.179504.1111
- Beaver, W. H. (1966). Financial ratios as predictors of failure. Journal of accounting research, 71-111. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490171
- Jolliffe, I. T. (2002). Principal component analysis for special types of data(pp. 338-372). Springer New York.
- Altman, Edward I (2000), Predicting Financial Distress of Companies: Revisiting the Z-Score and ZETA Models. In Bell, A. R., Brooks, Ch., Prokopczuk, M (Eds.), Handbook of research methods and applications in empirical finance (pp. 428-456). https://doi.org/10.4337/9780857936080.00027
- Hosseini Monfared, S. N., Hosseinzadeh Lotfi, F., Mozaffari, M. R., & Rostamy Malkhalifeh, M. (2021). Classifying flexible and integer data in two-stage network data envelopment analysis. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 8(3), 270-289.
- Kaviani, M., & Fakhrehosseini, S. F. (2020). Application of fuzzy logic in portfolio management: evidence from Iranian researches. Journal of fuzzy extension and applications, 1(2), 108-111.
- Nadafi, Z., & Pourali, M. R. (2020). The effect of stock liquidity on companies future investment: a study of the Iranian capital market. Innovation management and operational strategies, 1(3), 269-283. (In Persian). http://www.journal-imos.ir/article_125869.html?lang=en
- Darvishinia, R., Ebrahimzadeh Shermeh, H., & Barzkar, S. (2019). Development of a forecasting model for investment in Tehran stock exchange based on seasonal coefficient. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 6(4), 333-366.
- Sarmadi S. (2013). Investigating of relationship between intellectual capital and financial performance of petrochemical companies listed in Tehran stock exchange. Retrieved from https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2251620
- Bezdek, J. C. (1976). A physical Interpretation of Fuzzy ISODATA. IEEE trans syst. man, cybern, 6(5), 387-389. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1976.4309506
- Chiu, S. L. (1994, June). A cluster estimation method with extension to fuzzy model identification. Proceedings of 1994 IEEE 3rd international fuzzy systems conference(pp. 1240-1245). IEEE.
- Varetto, F. (1998). Genetic algorithms applications in the analysis of insolvency risk. Journal of banking & finance, 22(10-11), 1421-1439.
- Molaei, S., & Cyrus, K. M. (2014). Robust design of maintenance scheduling considering engineering insurance using genetic algorithm. International journal of research in industrial engineering, 3(1), 39-48.
- Jones, S., & Hensher, D. A. (2007). Modelling corporate failure: a multinomial nested logit analysis for unordered outcomes. The British accounting review, 39(1), 89-107.
- McKee, T. E., & Lensberg, T. (2002). Genetic programming and rough sets: a hybrid approach to bankruptcy classification. European journal of operational research, 138(2), 436-451.
- Altman, E. I. (2006). Corporate financial distress and bankruptc. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.