Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Accounting, Aliabad Katoul Branch, Islamic Azad University, Aliabad Katoul, Iran.
Department of Management, Al-Zahra University, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Financial Engineering, Aliabad Katoul Branch, Islamic Azad University, Aliabad Katoul, Iran.
The present study investigated the role of strategic cost management as a moderating variable on the relationship between supply chain practices, Top Management Support (TMS), and financial performance improvement. Financial performance improvement was considered as a dependent variable, while supply chain practices, strategic cost management, and TMS were taken as the main independent variables. Besides, the financial structure and the firm size were considered as control variables. The research sample included 165 companies that were selected using random sampling from among companies listed on the Tehran Stock Exchange. The data were collected using the Senior Management Survey (SMS) to measure supply chain practices, TMS, and strategic cost management. The results of the structural equation modeling after discriminant tests showed that strategic cost management had a positive and significant effect on the relationship between different subscales of supply chain practices and different measures of financial performance improvement. The results also showed that the relationship between strategic cost management, senior management support, supply chain activities and improving financial performance is non-linear and so that Supply Chain Integration (SCI) is more effective at low and medium levels and at higher levels. The above has a lesser or even negative effect.
- Lord, B. R. (1996). Strategic management accounting: the emperor's new clothes? Management accounting research, 7(3), 347-366.
- Roslender, R., & Hart, S. J. (2003). In search of strategic management accounting: theoretical and field study perspectives. Management accounting research, 14(3), 255-279.
- Anderson, S. W., & Dekker, H. C. (2009). Strategic cost management in supply chains, part 1: structural cost management. Accounting horizons, 23(2), 201-220.
- Herati, J., Dehghani, A., Taghizadeh, H., & Amini, T. (2016). The effects of economic and political inequality on quality of environment in selected countries: GMM panel analysis. Journal of economic modeling research, 6(23), 197-230. (In Persian). http://jemr.khu.ac.ir/article-1-1044-fa.html
- Nazaripour, M., & Mirzaei, F. (2018). Investigating the impact of strategic cost management on financial performance with emphasis on environmental costs. Journal of industrial management studies, 16(51), 207-234. (In Persian). DOI: 22054/JIMS.2017.15782.1555
- Anderson, S. W. (2006). Managing costs and cost structure throughout the value chain: research on strategic cost management. Handbooks of management accounting research, 2, 481-506.
- Cohen, S., & Kaimenaki, E. (2011). Cost accounting systems structure and information quality properties: an empirical analysis. Journal of applied accounting research, 12(1), 5-25.
- Kim, S. W. (2006). The effect of supply chain integration on the alignment between corporate competitive capability and supply chain operational capability. International journal of operations & production management, 26(10), 1084-1107.
- Zhao, X., Huo, B., Selen, W., & Yeung, J. H. Y. (2011). The impact of internal integration and relationship commitment on external integration. Journal of operations management, 29(1-2), 17-32.
- Zhao, G., Feng, T., & Wang, D. (2015). Is more supply chain integration always beneficial to financial performance? Industrial marketing management, 45, 162-172.
- Bagchi, P. K., Ha, B. C., Skjoett‐Larsen, T., & Soerensen, L. B. (2005). Supply chain integration: a European survey. The international journal of logistics management, 16(2), 275-294.
- Tawil-Souri, H. (2011). Where is the political in cultural studies? in Palestine. International journal of cultural studies, 14(5), 467-482.
- Feng, T., Sun, L., & Zhang, Y. (2010). The effects of customer and supplier involvement on competitive advantage: an empirical study in China. Industrial marketing management, 39(8), 1384-1394.
- Wisner, P. S., Epstein, M. J., & Bagozzi, R. P. (2006). Organizational antecedents and consequences of environmental performance. In M. Freedman, & B. Jaggi, (Eds.), Environmental accounting(pp. 143-167). Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1479-3598(06)03005-6
- Ruan, S. (2020, April). Research on strategic cost management of enterprises based on Porter’s value chain model. In Journal of Physics: conference series(Vol. 1533, No. 2, p. 022056). IOP Publishing.
- Hajiha, Z., & Sarkhani Ganji, H. R. (2020). Investigating the role of management accounting mediation on the relationship between cost system design and company performance. Management accounting, 13(44), 41-53.
- Dess, G. G., & Robinson Jr, R. B. (1984). Measuring organizational performance in the absence of objective measures: the case of the privately‐held firm and conglomerate business unit. Strategic management journal, 5(3), 265-273.
- Haghighinasab, M., Rostami, M., Khobbakht, F., & Hakimifar, N. (2019). The effect of relationship marketing on firm-investor financial performance in the Tehran stock exchange market. Management accounting, 12(42), 27-42. (In Persian). https://jma.srbiau.ac.ir/article_14411.html
- Fayard, D., Lee, L. S., Leitch, R. A., & Kettinger, W. J. (2012). Effect of internal cost management, information systems integration, and absorptive capacity on inter-organizational cost management in supply chains. Accounting, organizations and society, 37(3), 168-187.
- Barney, J. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of management, 17(1), 99-120.
- Mohd Ali, K. A., Yusoff, R. Z., & Abas, Z. (2000). The relationship between quality management practices and productivity in revenue and cost management: a study of local authorities in Peninsular Malaysia. Malaysian management journal, 5(1&2), 17-33.
- Henri, J. F., Boiral, O., & Roy, M. J. (2014). The tracking of environmental costs: motivations and impacts. European accounting review, 23(4), 647-669.
- Lotfi, R., Kargar, B., Hoseini, S. H., Nazari, S., Safavi, S., & Weber, G. W. (2021). Resilience and sustainable supply chain network design by considering renewable energy. International journal of energy research, 45(12), 17749-17766.
- Ghasempoor Anaraki, M., Vladislav, D. S., Karbasian, M., Osintsev, N., & Nozick, V. (2021). Evaluation and selection of supplier in supply chain with fuzzy analytical network process approach. Journal of fuzzy extension and applications, 2(1), 69-88.
- Nozari, H., & Ghahremani-Nahr, J. (2021).Provide a framework for implementing agile big data-based supply chain (case study: FMCG companies). Innovation management and operational strategies, 2(2), 128-136. (In Persian). DOI: 22105/IMOS.2021.294906.1137
- Khlilzade, R., Saeidi, P., Naderian, A., & Abbasie, I. (2021). Designing a model for financial agility of supply chain process. Journal of decisions and operations research, 6(3), 445-463. (In Persian). DOI: 22105/DMOR.2021.240415.1189
- Lotfi, R., Mehrjerdi, Y. Z., Pishvaee, M. S., Sadeghieh, A., & Weber, G. W. (2021). A robust optimization model for sustainable and resilient closed-loop supply chain network design considering conditional value at risk. Numerical algebra, control & optimization, 11(2), 221-253.
- Mzoughi, N., Bahri, N., & Ghachem, M. S. (2008). Impact of supply chain management and ERP on organizational performance and competitive advantage: case of Tunisian companies. Journal of global information technology management, 11(3), 24-46.
- Vahabpour, N., & Safarzadeh, H. (2017). Investigating the effect of supply chain integration on company performance using the mediating variables of competitive capabilities and supply chain management. International conference on management, economics and humanities with the approach of resistance economics, employment and production (pp. 301-314). Journal of management studies and accounting.
- Fakhrzad, M. B., & Lotfi, R. (2018). Green vendor managed inventory with backorder in two echelon supply chain with epsilon-constraint and NSGA-II approach. Journal of industrial engineering research in production systems, 5(11), 193-209.
- Koh, S. L., Demirbag, M., Bayraktar, E., Tatoglu, E., & Zaim, S. (2007). The impact of supply chain management practices on performance of SMEs. Industrial management & data systems, 107(1), 103-124.
- Fathi, M., & Nazari, H. (2017). Investigation the effect of total quality management on financial performance of companies of Alborz industrial park in Qazvin province: the mediator role of organizational learning capability and innovation. Commercial surveys, 14(81), 43-62.
- Naseri, M., Nategh Golestan, A., & Mansouri, M. (2016). Review of strategic management accounting on improving company financial performance. International conference on management, economics and humanities. Ilia Capital Ideas Managers Company. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/625138/
- Henri, J. F., Boiral, O., & Roy, M. J. (2016). Strategic cost management and performance: the case of environmental costs. The British accounting review, 48(2), 269-282.
- Turner, M. J., Way, S. A., Hodari, D., & Witteman, W. (2017). Hotel property performance: the role of strategic management accounting. International journal of hospitality management, 63, 33-43.
- Tracey, M., Lim, J. S., & Vonderembse, M. A. (2005). The impact of supply‐chain management capabilities on business performance. Supply chain management: an international journal, 10(3), 179-191.