Document Type : Research Paper
1 Faculty of Management, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
2 Department of Industrial Engineering, Mazandaran University of Science and Technology, Babol, Iran.
3 Faculty of Engineering Management, Poznan University of Technology, Poznan, Poland.
A Cellular Manufacturing System (CMS) is a suitable system for the economic manufacture of part families. Scheduling the manufacturing cells plays an effective role in successful implementation of the manufacturing system. Due to the fact that in the CMS, bottleneck machine and human resources are two important factors, which so far have not been studied simultaneously in a mathematical model, there should be a model to consider them. Therefore, this research develops a bi-objective model for CMS in a three-dimensional space of machine-part and human resources. The main objective is to minimize the maximum completion time of all tasks in the system and reduce the number of intercellular translocation based on bottleneck machines’ motion and human resources. Due to the NP-hardness of the studied problem, applying the conventional solution methods is very time-consuming, and is impossible in large dimensions. Therefore, the use of metaheuristic methods will be useful. The accuracy of the proposed model is investigated using LINGO by solving a small example. Then, to solve the problem in larger dimensions, a hybrid Multi-Objective Tabu Search-Genetic Algorithm (MO-TS-GA) is designed and numerical results are reported for several examples.
- Tirkolaee, E. B., Goli, A., & Weber, G. W. (2020). Fuzzy mathematical programming and self-adaptive artificial fish swarm algorithm for just-in-time energy-aware flow shop scheduling problem with outsourcing option. IEEE transactions on fuzzy systems, 28(11), 2772-2783.
- Barzinpour, F., & Zagardi, S. H. (2005). Presenting an SA method to scheduling in cellular manufacturing system considering multi-product process 4th international industrial engineering conference. Tehran. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/17541/
- Logendran, R., Salmasi, N., & Sriskandarajah, C. (2006). Two-machine group scheduling problems in discrete parts manufacturing with sequence-dependent setups. Computers & operations research, 33(1), 158-180.
- Schaller, J. (2000). A comparison of heuristics for family and job scheduling in a flow-line manufacturing cell. International journal of production research, 38(2), 287-308.
- Gupta, J. N., & Schaller, J. E. (2006). Minimizing flow time in a flow-line manufacturing cell with family setup times. Journal of the operational research society, 57(2), 163-176.
- Hendizadeh, S. H., Faramarzi, H., Mansouri, S. A., Gupta, J. N., & ElMekkawy, T. Y. (2008). Meta-heuristics for scheduling a flowline manufacturing cell with sequence dependent family setup times. International journal of production economics, 111(2), 593-605.
- Zandieh, M., Dorri, B., & Khamseh, A. R. (2009). Robust metaheuristics for group scheduling with sequence-dependent setup times in hybrid flexible flow shops. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 43(7), 767-778.
- Salmasi, N., Logendran, R., & Skandari, M. R. (2010). Total flow time minimization in a flowshop sequence-dependent group scheduling problem. Computers & operations research, 37(1), 199-212.
- Solimanpur, M., Vrat, P., & Shankar, R. (2004). A heuristic to minimize makespan of cell scheduling problem. International journal of production economics, 88(3), 231-241.
- Zagardi, S. H., & Bohloli, E. (2009). Group scheduling considering the learning effect on cellular manufacturing system. International journal of industrial engineering, 20(2), 45-56. (In Persian). http://ijiepm.iust.ac.ir/article-1-256-fa.html
- Zandieh, M., & Karimi, N. (2011). An adaptive multi-population genetic algorithm to solve the multi-objective group scheduling problem in hybrid flexible flowshop with sequence-dependent setup times. Journal of intelligent manufacturing, 22(6), 979-989.
- Li, D., Wang, Y., Xiao, G., & Tang, J. (2013). Dynamic parts scheduling in multiple job shop cells considering intercell moves and flexible routes. Computers & operations research, 40(5), 1207-1223.
- Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Javadian, N., Khorrami, A., & Gholipour-Kanani, Y. (2010). Design of a scatter search method for a novel multi-criteria group scheduling problem in a cellular manufacturing system. Expert systems with applications, 37(3), 2661-2669.
- Solimanpur, M., & Elmi, A. (2013). A tabu search approach for cell scheduling problem with makespan criterion. International journal of production economics, 141(2), 639-645.
- Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Gholipour-Kanani, Y., & Cheraghalizadeh, R. (2008). A genetic algorithm and memetic algorithm to sequencing and scheduling of cellular manufacturing systems. International journal of management science and engineering management, 3(2), 119-130. https://doi.org/10.1080/17509653.2008.10671040
- Egilmez, G., Erenay, B., & Süer, G. A. (2014). Stochastic skill-based manpower allocation in a cellular manufacturing system. Journal of manufacturing systems, 33(4), 578-588.
- Karthikeyan, S., Saravanan, M., & Rajkumar, M. (2016). Optimization of worker assignment in dynamic cellular manufacturing system using genetic algorithm. Journal of advanced manufacturing systems, 15(01), 35-42.
- Azadeh, A., Ravanbakhsh, M., Rezaei-Malek, M., Sheikhalishahi, M., & Taheri-Moghaddam, A. (2017). Unique NSGA-II and MOPSO algorithms for improved dynamic cellular manufacturing systems considering human factors. Applied mathematical modelling, 48, 655-672.
- Méndez-Vázquez, Y. M., & Nembhard, D. A. (2019). Worker-cell assignment: the impact of organizational factors on performance in cellular manufacturing systems. Computers & industrial engineering, 127, 1101-1114.
- Chu, X., Gao, D., Cheng, S., Wu, L., Chen, J., Shi, Y., & Qin, Q. (2019). Worker assignment with learning-forgetting effect in cellular manufacturing system using adaptive memetic differential search algorithm. Computers & industrial engineering, 136, 381-396.
- Kesavan, V., Kamalakannan, R., Sudhakarapandian, R., & Sivakumar, P. (2020). Heuristic and meta-heuristic algorithms for solving medium and large scale sized cellular manufacturing system NP-hard problems: a comprehensive review. Materials today: proceedings, 21, 66-72.
- Goli, A., Tirkolaee, E. B., & Aydın, N. S. (2021). Fuzzy integrated cell formation and production scheduling considering automated guided vehicles and human factors. IEEE transactions on fuzzy systems, 29(12), 3686-3695.
- Elmi, A., Solimanpur, M., Topaloglu, S., & Elmi, A. (2011). A simulated annealing algorithm for the job shop cell scheduling problem with intercellular moves and reentrant parts. Computers & industrial engineering, 61(1), 171-178.
- Heydari, M., & Aazami, A. (2018). Minimizing the maximum tardiness and makespan criteria in a job shop scheduling problem with sequence dependent setup times. Journal of industrial and systems engineering, 11(2), 134-150.
- Dehnavi-Arani, S., Saidi-Mehrabad, M., & Ghezavati, V. (2019). An integrated model of cell formation and scheduling problem in a cellular manufacturing system considering automated guided vehicles' movements. International journal of operational research, 34(4), 542-561.
- Aghajani-Delavar, N., Mehdizadeh, E., Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., & Haleh, H. (In Press). A multi-objective vibration damping optimization algorithm for solving a cellular manufacturing system with manpower and tool allocation. Scientia Iranica. DOI: 24200/SCI.2020.52419.2706
- Guo, H., Chen, M., Mohamed, K., Qu, T., Wang, S., & Li, J. (2021). A digital twin-based flexible cellular manufacturing for optimization of air conditioner line. Journal of manufacturing systems, 58, 65-78.
- Allahverdi, A., Gupta, J. N., & Aldowaisan, T. (1999). A review of scheduling research involving setup considerations. Omega, 27(2), 219-239.
- Nembhard, D. A. (2001). Heuristic approach for assigning workers to tasks based on individual learning rates. International journal of production research, 39(9), 1955-1968.
- Goli, A., Zare, H. K., Tavakkoli‐Moghaddam, R., & Sadegheih, A. (2020). Multiobjective fuzzy mathematical model for a financially constrained closed‐loop supply chain with labor employment. Computational intelligence, 36(1), 4-34.
- Goli, A., & Davoodi, S. M. R. (2018). Coordination policy for production and delivery scheduling in the closed loop supply chain. Production engineering, 12(5), 621-631.
- Alinaghian, M., Tirkolaee, E. B., Dezaki, Z. K., Hejazi, S. R., & Ding, W. (2021). An augmented Tabu search algorithm for the green inventory-routing problem with time windows. Swarm and evolutionary computation, 60, 100802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.swevo.2020.100802
- Tirkolaee, E. B., Goli, A., Pahlevan, M., & Malekalipour Kordestanizadeh, R. (2019). A robust bi-objective multi-trip periodic capacitated arc routing problem for urban waste collection using a multi-objective invasive weed optimization. Waste management & research, 37(11), 1089-1101.
- Tirkolaee, E. B., Hadian, S., & Golpira, H. (2019). A novel multi-objective model for two-echelon green routing problem of perishable products with intermediate depots. Journal of industrial engineering and management studies, 6(2), 196-213.
- Alimoradi, S., Hematian, M., & Moslehi, G. (2016). Robust scheduling of parallel machines considering total flow time. Computers & industrial engineering, 93, 152-161.
- Hematian, M., Seyyed Esfahani, M. M., Mahdavi, I., Mahdavi‐Amiri, N., & Rezaeian, J. (2020). A multiobjective integrated multiproject scheduling and multiskilled workforce assignment model considering learning effect under uncertainty. Computational intelligence, 36(1), 276-296.
- Tirkolaee, E. B., Mahmoodkhani, J., Bourani, M. R., & Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R. (2019). A self-learning particle swarm optimization for robust multi-echelon capacitated location–allocation–inventory problem. Journal of advanced manufacturing systems, 18(04), 677-694.
- Tirkolaee, E. B., Abbasian, P., & Weber, G. W. (2021). Sustainable fuzzy multi-trip location-routing problem for medical waste management during the COVID-19 outbreak. Science of the total environment, 756, 143607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.143607
- Savku, E., & Weber, G. W. (2018). A stochastic maximum principle for a markov regime-switching jump-diffusion model with delay and an application to finance. Journal of optimization theory and applications, 179(2), 696-721.
- Roy, S. K., Maity, G., & Weber, G. W. (2017). Multi-objective two-stage grey transportation problem using utility function with goals. Central European journal of operations research, 25(2), 417-439.