Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Management, Entrepreneurship and Commercialization Research Center, Semnan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Semnan, Iran.
The aim of this study is providing a developed model for SMEs' in open innovation activities. In this regard, an appropriate model was defined by studying the literature. Then, after selecting a sample of 60 small and medium enterprises the data were collected by a questionnaire and were analyzed with the Smart PLS software. In the third stage, the relative importance of factors was tested from the perspective of 10 experts in the field of open innovation along with experienced managers of the small and medium enterprises with more than 15 years of work experience with the help of ANP and PROMETHEE methods. The results showed that these factors include the parameters: Product Characteristics, Inter-organizational Factors, and Environmental Factors. In addition, the most important factors include Product Characteristics. Finally, several implications were made such as changing the degree of SMEs' participation in open innovation activities over time according to continuous monitoring of these moderators.
- " Small and Medium Enterprises " Open Innovation" Product Characteristics" Inter-Organizational Factors"
- " Environmental Factors"
- (2003). Strategy document to enhance the contribution of an efficient and competitive small and medium-sized enterprise sector to industrial and economic development in the Islamic Republic of Iran. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=
- Shaikh, M., & Levina, N. (2019). Selecting an open innovation community as an alliance partner: looking for healthy communities and ecosystems. Research policy, 48(8), 103766.
- Kratzer, J., Meissner, D., & Roud, V. (2017). Open innovation and company culture: internal openness makes the difference. Technological forecasting and social change, 119, 128-138.
- Chesbrough, H., Vanhaverbeke, W., & West, J. (Eds.). (2006). Open innovation: researching a new paradigm. Oxford University Press on Demand. https://www.amazon.com/Open-Innovation-Researching-New-Paradigm/dp/0199226466
- Dahlander, L., & Gann, D. M. (2010). How open is innovation?. Research policy, 39(6), 699-709.
- Mashdai, A., & Taghavi, Z. (2010). Open innovation: the most important competitive advantage of companies in the market. The 10th conference of the Iranian aerospace society, Tehran, Iran. Civilica. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/134764
- Hung, K. P., & Chou, C. (2013). The impact of open innovation on firm performance: the moderating effects of internal R&D and environmental turbulence. Technovation, 33(10-11), 368-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2013.06.006
- Afrasiabi, R. (2014). The effect of internal and external factors on open innovation. Journal of technology development management, 2(2), 29-46. (In Persian). DOI: 22104/jtdm.2015.135
- Cornell, B. T. (2012). Open innovation strategies for overcoming competitive challenges facing small and mid-sized enterprises. University of Maryland University College.
- Lyu, Y., He, B., Zhu, Y., & Li, L. (2019). Network embeddedness and inbound open innovation practice: the moderating role of technology cluster. Technological forecasting and social change, 144, 12-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.03.018
- Naqshbandi, M. M., & Tabche, I. (2018). The interplay of leadership, absorptive capacity, and organizational learning culture in open innovation: testing a moderated mediation model. Technological forecasting and social change, 133, 156-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.03.017
- Pervan, S., Al-Ansaari, Y., & Xu, J. (2015). Environmental determinants of open innovation in Dubai SMEs. Industrial marketing management, 50, 60-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.05.029
- HashemiDehaghi, Z. (2019). Open innovation and its necessity in organizations. Journal of industry and university, 26(25), 25. (In Persian). http://jiu.ir/article-1-92-fa.html
- Rahmanian, S., & Nasr, M. (2010). A network mediation model for open innovation in SMEs. Fourth conference on technology management, Tehran, Iran. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/94593/
- Ahmadi, Z., Shafiei, M., & Vakil, Y. (2018). The impact of open innovation on company innovative performance with the emphasis on moderating role of market turbulence (case study: small and medium-sized manufacturing companies in Semnan city). Quarterly journal of industrial technology development, 16(32), 73-92. http://jtd.iranjournals.ir/article_30506_en.html
- Hossain, M., & Kauranen, I. (2016). Open innovation in SMEs: a systematic literature review. Journal of strategy and management, 9(1), 58-73. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSMA-08-2014-0072
- West, J., & Bogers, M. (2017). Open innovation: current status and research opportunities. Innovation, 19(1), 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/14479338.2016.1258995
- Frishammar, J., Ericsson, K., & Patel, P. C. (2015). The dark side of knowledge transfer: exploring knowledge leakage in joint R&D projects. Technovation, 41, 75-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2015.01.001
- Parhizkar, M. M., Jokar, A. A., & Darini, V. M. (2014). Identification of factors influencing on organizational innovation based on open innovation paradigm: case study, publication industry. Industrial management studies, 11(31), 101-125. https://jims.atu.ac.ir/article_193_en.html
- Vaezi Nejad, M., & Sadeghi, J., (2008), Open innovation: the key strategy of internal technology-based companies for competition in internal and external markets. Third international conference on strategic management, Tehran, Iran. Civilica. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/67151/
- Radziwon, A., & Bogers, M. (2019). Open innovation in SMEs: exploring inter-organizational relationships in an ecosystem. Technological forecasting and social change, 146, 573-587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.04.021
- Lu, P., Yuan, S., & Wu, J. (2017). The interaction effect between intra-organizational and inter-organizational control on the project performance of new product development in open innovation. International journal of project management, 35(8), 1627-1638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2017.09.009
- Spithoven, A., Clarysse, B., & Knockaert, M. (2010). Building absorptive capacity to organise inbound open innovation in traditional industries. Technovation, 30(2), 130-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2009.08.004
- Brockman, P., Khurana, I. K., & Zhong, R. I. (2018). Societal trust and open innovation. Research policy, 47(10), 2048-2065. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2018.07.010
- Sivam, A., Dieguez, T., Ferreira, L. P., & Silva, F. J. (2019). Key settings for successful open innovation arena. Journal of computational design and engineering, 6(4), 507-515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcde.2019.03.005
- Javid, Gh., & Bagherinejad, J. (2012). The relationship between open innovation process and the absorptive capacity of businesses. Rushd technology magazine, 31(8), 51-61.
- Safdari Ranjbar, M., Manteghi, M., & Tavakkoli, Gh. (2014). Open innovation, a comprehensive view on concepts, approaches, trends and key success factors. Journal roshd-e-fanavari, 10(40), 10-17. https://www.sid.ir/paper/145013/fa
- Gkypali, A., Arvanitis, S., & Tsekouras, K. (2018). Absorptive capacity, exporting activities, innovation openness and innovation performance: a SEM approach towards a unifying framework. Technological forecasting and social change, 132, 143-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.01.025
- Lopes, C. M., Scavarda, A., Hofmeister, L. F., Thomé, A. M. T., & Vaccaro, G. L. R. (2017). An analysis of the interplay between organizational sustainability, knowledge management, and open innovation. Journal of cleaner production, 142, 476-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.10.083
- Mazzola, E., Perrone, G., & Kamuriwo, D. S. (2015). Network embeddedness and new product development in the biopharmaceutical industry: the moderating role of open innovation flow. International journal of production economics, 160, 106-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.10.002
- Nestle, V., Täube, F. A., Heidenreich, S., & Bogers, M. (2019). Establishing open innovation culture in cluster initiatives: the role of trust and information asymmetry. Technological forecasting and social change, 146, 563-572. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.06.022
- Jugend, D., Jabbour, C. J. C., Scaliza, J. A. A., Rocha, R. S., Junior, J. A. G., Latan, H., & Salgado, M. H. (2018). Relationships among open innovation, innovative performance, government support and firm size: comparing Brazilian firms embracing different levels of radicalism in innovation. Technovation, 74, 54-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2018.02.004
- Chen, T., Li, F., Chen, X. P., & Ou, Z. (2018). Innovate or die: how should knowledge-worker teams respond to technological turbulence?. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 149, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2018.08.008
- Ebrahimpour, M., Nopasand Asil, S. M., & Ahmadi Saravani, M. (2015). The impact of strategic flexibility on companies market performance: the mediating role of open innovation. Quarterly journal of industrial technology development, 13(26), 5-16. http://jtd.iranjournals.ir/article_18081.html?lang=en
- Gorsuch, R. (1983). Factor analysis (2nd Ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Saaty, T. L. (1996). Decision making with dependence and feedback: the analytic network process(Vol. 4922, No. 2). Pittsburgh: RWS Publications.
- Carayannis, E. G., & Meissner, D. (2017). Glocal targeted open innovation: challenges, opportunities and implications for theory, policy and practice. The journal of technology transfer, 42(2), 236-252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-016-9497-0
- Chesbrough, H., Vanhaverbeke, W., & West, J. (Eds.). (2014). New frontiers in open innovation. Oup Oxford.
- Azami, A., Kazerooni, H., & Mohammadkhani Ghiasvand, H. (2021). Improvement solutions for production and service functions in the innovation system: prioritizing solutions using FMADM approach. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 8(Spec. Issue), 1-23. DOI: 22105/jarie.2021.274952.1260
- Shariatmadari Serkani, E. (2015). Using DEMATEL–ANP hybrid algorithm approach to select the most effective dimensions of CRM on innovation capabilities. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 2(2), 120-138.
- Hair Junior, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2014). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). SAGE Publications
- Brans, J. P., Vincke, P., & Mareschal, B. (1986). How to select and how to rank projects: the PROMETHEE method. European journal of operational research, 24(2), 228-238.