Document Type : Research Paper
1 Department of Mechanical Engineering, Arak University of Technology, Arak, Iran.
2 Department of Industrial Engineering, Arak Branch, Islamic Azad University, Arak, Iran.
3 Department of Industrial Engineering, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
The purpose of this paper is to develop a new Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) framework for identification, prioritization and improvement of failure modes. A hybrid multiple criteria decision-making (MCDM) method combining Stepwise Weight Assessment Ratio Analysis (SWARA) and VlseKriterijumska optimizacija I KOm-promisno Resenje (VIKOR) is used to rank the risk of failure modes identified in FMEA. For this purpose, the SWARA method is utilized to obtain the influential weights and then VIKOR technique is employed to give the prioritization levels for the failure modes in safety equipment. A case study of a gas company in Lorestan Province (Iran) is provided to illustrate the potential application and benefits of the proposed FMEA approach. The obtained results show that the new risk priority model can be effective to find high risk failure modes and create suitable maintenance strategies. The proposed FMEA also can overcome the shortcomings, improve the effectiveness of the traditional FMEA and provide useful information to help in managing risks of safety equipment.
- Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Risk Priority Number (RPN)
- VIKOR technique
- SWARA technique
- Pittiglio, P., Bragatto, P., & Delle Site, C. (2014). Updated failure rates and risk management in process industries. Energy procedia, 45, 1364-1371.
- Ghasemkhani, R. (2011). Identification and assessment of process hazards in units 101 and 104 of phases 9 and 10 of south pars (MSc Thesis, Chemical Engineering Islamic Azad University). Retrieved from https://elmnet.ir/article/10500397-31552/
- Mohammad Fam, I. (2007). Safety audit. Fanavaran Publication. (In Persian). https://www.gisoom.com/book/1425543/
- Yar Ahmadi, R., & Moridi. P. (2012). Health, safety and environmental risk assessment in laboratory sites. Journal of health and safety at work, 2(1), 11-26. (In Persian). http://jhsw.tums.ac.ir/article-1-10-fa.html
- Mohammad Fam, I., & Ehsani, H. R. (2005). Quantitative risk assessment of pipelines. 2nd scientific research conference on assistance and rescue management. Tehran. (In Persian). https://civilica.com/doc/35158/
- Liu, H. C. (2016). FMEA using uncertainty theories and MCDM methods. In FMEA using uncertainty theories and MCDM methods(pp. 13-27). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-1466-6_2
- Liu, H. C., Liu, L., & Liu, N. (2013). Risk evaluation approaches in failure mode and effects analysis: a literature review. Expert systems with applications, 40(2), 828-838.
- Rahimi, Y., Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Iranmanesh, S. H., & Vaez-Alaei, M. (2018). Hybrid approach to construction project risk management with simultaneous FMEA/ISO 31000/evolutionary algorithms: empirical optimization study. Journal of construction engineering and management, 144(6), 04018043.
- Li, Z., & Chen, L. (2019). A novel evidential FMEA method by integrating fuzzy belief structure and grey relational projection method. Engineering applications of artificial intelligence, 77, 136-147.
- Ghaleh, S., Omidvari, M., Nassiri, P., Momeni, M., & Lavasani, S. M. M. (2019). Pattern of safety risk assessment in road fleet transportation of hazardous materials (oil materials). Safety science, 116, 1-12.
- Liu, Y., Kong, Z., & Zhang, Q. (2018). Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) for the security of the supply chain system of the gas station in China. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 164, 325-330.
- Hamidan, N., & Dashti, S. (2018). Risk Assessment of oil reservoirs of Amout-E-Arvand free zone area at the explotiation phase using FMEA method. Journal of health, 9(4), 389-402.
- Vazdani, S., Sabzghabaei, G., Dashti, S., Cheraghi, M., Alizadeh, R., & Hemmati, A. (2017). FMEA techniques used in environmental risk assessment. Environment & ecosystem science (EES), 1(2), 16-18.
- Ghasemi, S., Mahmoudvand, R., & Yavari, K. (2016). Application of the FMEA in insurance of high-risk industries: a case study of Iran's gas refineries. Stochastic environmental research and risk assessment, 30(2), 737-745.
- Kangavari, M., Salimi, S., Nourian, R., & Askarian, A. (2015). An application of failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA) to assess risks in petrochemical industry in Iran. Iranian journal of health, safety and environment, 2(2), 257-263.
- Petrovskiy, E. A., Buryukin, F. A., Bukhtiyarov, V. V., Savich, I. V., & Gagina, M. V. (2015). The FMEA-Risk analysis of oil and gas process facilities with hazard assessment based on fuzzy logic. Modern applied science, 9(5), 25-37.
- Bandarja, M., & Jozi, S. A. (2014). Health, safety, and environmental risk assessment for hydrocracker unit of Bandar Abbas in refinement of Oil Company by EFMEA method. Journal of environmental studies, 39(4), 105-124. (In Persian). DOI: 22059/jes.2014.36465
- Hekmatpanah, M., & Fadavinia, A. (2011). The evaluation and application of FMEA in Sepahan Oil Co. International journal of industrial and manufacturing engineering, 5(4), 769-774.
- Boral, S., Howard, I., Chaturvedi, S. K., McKee, K., & Naikan, V. N. A. (2020). An integrated approach for fuzzy failure modes and effects analysis using fuzzy AHP and fuzzy MAIRCA. Engineering failure analysis, 108, 104195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2019.104195
- Tian, Z. P., Wang, J. Q., & Zhang, H. Y. (2018). An integrated approach for failure mode and effects analysis based on fuzzy best-worst, relative entropy, and VIKOR methods. Applied soft computing, 72, 636-646.
- Ghoushchi, S. J., Yousefi, S., & Khazaeili, M. (2019). An extended FMEA approach based on the Z-MOORA and fuzzy BWM for prioritization of failures. Applied soft computing, 81, 105505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2019.105505
- Fattahi, R., & Khalilzadeh, M. (2018). Risk evaluation using a novel hybrid method based on FMEA, extended MULTIMOORA, and AHP methods under fuzzy environment. Safety science, 102, 290-300.
- Alvand, A., Mirhosseini, S. M., Ehsanifar, M., Zeighami, E., & Mohammadi, A. (2021). Identification and assessment of risk in construction projects using the integrated FMEA-SWARA-WASPAS model under fuzzy environment: a case study of a construction project in Iran. International journal of construction management, 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2021.1877875
- Azar Barin, R. (2000). Evaluation of safety of bilerboard recovery systems in Iran’s wood and paper workshop by FMEA method and appropriate solutions (MSc Thesis, University of Medical Sciences Tarbiat Modarres University). Retrieved from https://elmnet.ir/Article/10074871-71901/
- Keršuliene, V., Zavadskas, E. K., & Turskis, Z. (2010). Selection of rational dispute resolution method by applying new step‐wise weight assessment ratio analysis (SWARA). Journal of business economics and management, 11(2), 243-258.
- Mavi, R. K., Goh, M., & Zarbakhshnia, N. (2017). Sustainable third-party reverse logistic provider selection with fuzzy SWARA and fuzzy MOORA in plastic industry. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 91(5), 2401-2418.
- Rahimi, Y., Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Iranmanesh, S. H., & Vaez-Alaei, M. (2018). Hybrid approach to construction project risk management with simultaneous FMEA/ISO 31000/evolutionary algorithms: Empirical optimization study. Journal of construction engineering and management, 144(6), 04018043. https://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/%28ASCE%29CO.1943-7862.0001486
- Yoon, K. P., & Hwang C. L. (1995). Multiple attribute decision making: an introduction. Sage publication.