Document Type : Review Paper
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Technology, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
5S is an important industrial engineering technique which is used worldwide in a wide range of industrial and service type organizations for workplace management. Improvement in efficiency and productivity, and reduction in waste and idle time etc. are some of its benefits. This paper presents a fundamental understanding of 5S technique and review of some important past work on implementation of 5S in various organizational setups. It is worth mentioning that safety has been identified as to be included as the 6thS under this technique. The main aim of this paper is to facilitate scholars, researchers, and engineers of industrial engineering field by providing knowledge and develop understanding of 5S technique so that they may further implement it in various scenarios of the workplace organization.
- Liker, J. K. (2004) The toyota way: fourteen management principles from the world’s greatest manufacturer. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Osada, T. (1991) The 5S: five keys to a total quality environment. Asian Productivity Organization, Tokyo. https://www.amazon.com/5Ss-Five-Total-Quality-Environment/dp/9283311159
- Osada, T. (1991). The 5-S: Five Keys to a Total Quality Environment, Asian Productivity Organization, Tokyo. 2. NEATNESS (Seiton): Functional storage and eliminating the need to look for things.
- Singh, A., & Ahuja, I. S. (2015). Review of 5S methodology and its contributions towards manufacturing performance. International journal of process management and benchmarking, 5(4), 408-424.
- Ho, S. K., & Cicmil, S. (1996). Japanese 5‐S practice. The TQM magazine. 8(1), 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1108/09544789610107261
- Subburaman, K. (2019). A case study of 5s implementation in inspection process. Proceedings of the international conference on industrial engineering and operations management ( 1514-1519). IEOM Society International, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Kuchekar, P. N., Pant, R., & Polampally, R. P. (2019). Implementation of 5S in manufactuirng industry: case study. International journal of innovative science and research technology, 4(5), 1254-1260. https://ijisrt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IJISRT19MY614.pdf
- Upadhye, N., Deshmukh, S. G., & Garg, S. (2010). Lean manufacturing system for medium size manufacturing enterprises: an Indian case. International journal of management science and engineering management, 5(5), 362-375. https://doi.org/10.1080/17509653.2010.10671127
- Costa, C., Ferreira, L. P., Sá, J. C., & Silva, F. J. G. (2018). Implementation of 5S methodology in a metalworking company. DAAAM international scientific book, 17, 001-012.
- Mane, A. M., & Jayadeva, C. T. (2015). 5S implementation in Indian SME: a case study. International journal of process management and benchmarking, 5(4), 483-498.
- Gupta, S., & Chandna, P. (2020). A case study concerning the 5S lean technique in a scientific equipment manufacturing company. Grey systems: theory and application, 10(3), 339-357. https://doi.org/10.1108/GS-01-2020-0004
- Patel, V. C., & Thakkar, H. (2014). A case study: 5S implementation in ceramics manufacturing company. Bonfring international journal of industrial engineering and management science, 4(3), 132-139. DOI: 9756/BIJIEMS.10346
- Veres, C., Marian, L., Moica, S., & Al-Akel, K. (2018). Case study concerning 5S method impact in an automotive company. Procedia manufacturing, 22, 900-905. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2018.03.127
- Radzali, M. A., & Thomas, V. (2020). Assessment on 5S approach strategy for small medium enterprise (SME): a case study in Sabah. Journal of advanced mechanical engineering applications, 1(2), 7-19.
- Islam, M. I., Rahman, T. T., Rajkumar, M. M. P. J., & Ahmed, A. (2016). Applying 5S method on trims store’s documentation system in an apparel industry’. Proceedings of the international conference on industrial engineering and operations management (pp. 991-1001). IEOM Society International.
- Poojith, V.S., Vishnu, K., Sahay, M. (2018). 5S in Container terminals–a framework to reduce container demand uncertainty. Proceedings of the 2 nd european conference on industrial engineering and operations management (IEOM) (pp. 652-663). IEOM Society International, Paris, France.
- Ward, Y., & De Brito, M. P. (2007). Lean-safe operations for the aviation industry. Retrieved from https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.521.2915
- Dewi, S. R., Setiawan, B., & Nugroho, W. S. (2013). 5S program to reduce change-over time on forming department (case study on CV Piranti Works temanggung). IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 46, No. 1, p. 012040). IOP Publishing. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/46/1/012040/meta
- Fernandes, J. P., Godina, R., & Matias, J. C. (2018). Evaluating the impact of 5S implementation on occupational safety in an automotive industrial unit. International joint conference on industrial engineering and operations management(pp. 139-148). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14973-4_13
- Rizkya, I., Syahputri, K., Sari, R. M., & Siregar, I. (2019). 5S implementation in welding workshop–a lean tool in waste minimization. IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 505, No. 1, p. 012018). IOP Publishing. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/505/1/012018/meta
- Rizkya, I., Hidayati, N., Sari, R. M., & Tarigan, U. (2019). Evaluation of the leading work culture 5s in industry. IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 648, No. 1, p. 012003). IOP Publishing. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/648/1/012003/meta
- Pita, M. (1111). Implementation of 5s principles in mechanical engineering laboratories of university of South Africa, science campus. SAIIE31 proceedings (pp. 252-257). SAIIE, South Africa.
- Khumalo, V., & Gupta, K. (2019). A case study on effectiveness of 4s implementation in a machine shop. Proceedings of the international conference on industrial engineering and operations management (pp. 798-807).
- Khumalo, V., & Gupta, K. (2019). Implementation of shitsuke for sustaining with 5s culture in a mechanical workshop. Proceedings of the international conference on industrial engineering and operations management (pp. 808-819). IEOM Society International, Pilsen, Czech Republic.
- Jiménez, M., Romero, L., Domínguez, M., & del Mar Espinosa, M. (2015). 5S methodology implementation in the laboratories of an industrial engineering university school. Safety science, 78, 163-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2015.04.022
- Ishijima, H., Eliakimu, E., & Mshana, J. M. (2016). The “5S” approach to improve a working environment can reduce waiting time: findings from hospitals in Northern Tanzania. The TQM journal, 28(4), 664-680. https://doi.org/10.1108/TQM-11-2014-0099
- Sari, A. D., Rahmillah, F. I., & Aji, B. P. (2017). Implementation of 5S method for ergonomic laboratory. IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 215, No. 1, p. 012032). IOP Publishing. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/215/1/012032/meta
- Siahaan, F. S., Purba, J., Buwono, A., Ratih, R., & Refendi, H. (2020). The monozukuri concept as the right 5S implementation tool in Jakarta Vocational High Schools. Journal of physics: conference series(Vol. 1469, No. 1, p. 012129). IOP Publishing. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/1469/1/012129/meta
- Al-Doori, J. A. (2020). The impact of lean practices on operational performance in the banking sector: an empirical investigation. International journal of services and operations management, 37(1), 27-39.
- Nurcahyo, R., Apriliani, F., Muslim, E., & Wibowo, A. D. (2019). The analysis of the implementation of 5-S principles integrated with ISO 9001 requirements at higher education level. Sage open, 9(3), 1-10, 2158244019870773. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244019870773
- Abu Bakar, N., Rosbi, S., Abu Bakar, A., Che Arshad, N., Abd Aziz, N., & Uzaki, K. (2019). Framework of 5S quality management for university ecosystem to achieve green campus. International journal of scientific research and management, 7(12), 1-9. https://repo.uum.edu.my/id/eprint/28283/
- Alva, I., Rojas, J., & Raymundo, C. (2019). Improving processes through the use of the 5s methodology and menu engineering to reduce production costs of a mse in the hospitality sector in the department of ancash. International conference on human interaction and emerging technologies(pp. 818-824). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-25629-6_128
- Sukdeo, N. (2017). The application of 6S methodology as a lean improvement tool in an ink manufacturing company. 2017 IEEE international conference on industrial engineering and engineering management (IEEM)(pp. 1666-1671). IEEE. DOI: 1109/IEEM.2017.8290176
- Sukdeo, N., Ramdass, K., & Petja, G. (2020). Application of 7s methodology: a systematic approach in a bucket manufacturing organisation. South African journal of industrial engineering, 31(4), 178-193. http://dx.doi.org/10.7166/31-4-2283