Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Information Technology Management, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Industrial Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Department of Industrial Management, North Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Cryptocurrencies are considered as new financial and economic tools having special and innovative features, among which Bitcoin is the most popular. The contribution of the Bitcoin market continues to grow due to the special nature of Bitcoin. The investors' attention to Bitcoin has increased significantly in recent years due to significant growth in its prices. It is important to create a prediction system which works well for investment management and business strategies due to the high chaos and volatility of Bitcoin prices. In this study, in order to improve predictive accuracy, Bitcoin price dataset is first divided into a time interval through time window, then propose a new model based on Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM) neural networks and Metaheuristic algorithms. Chaotic Dolphin Swarm Optimization algorithm is used to optimize the LSTM. Performance evaluation indicated that the proposed model can have more effective predictions and improve prediction accuracy. In addition, the performance of the optimized model is better and more reliable than other models.
- Nakamoto, S. (2008). Bitcoin: a peer-to-peer electronic cash system. Decentralized business review. https://www.debr.io/article/21260-bitcoin-a-peer-to-peer-electronic-cash-system
- Sovbetov, Y. (2018). Factors influencing cryptocurrency prices: Evidence from bitcoin, ethereum, dash, litcoin, and monero. Journal of economics and financial analysis, 2(2), 1-27. DOI: 1991/jefa. v2i2.a16
- Velankar, S., Valecha, S., & Maji, S. (2018, February). Bitcoin price prediction using machine learning. 20th international conference on advanced communication technology (ICACT)(pp. 144-147). IEEE. DOI: 23919/ICACT.2018.8323676
- Atsalakis, G. S., Atsalaki, I. G., Pasiouras, F., & Zopounidis, C. (2019). Bitcoin price forecasting with neuro-fuzzy techniques. European journal of operational research, 276(2), 770-780. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2019.01.040
- Guo, T., Bifet, A., & Antulov-Fantulin, N. (2018, November). Bitcoin volatility forecasting with a glimpse into buy and sell orders. 2018 IEEE international conference on data mining (ICDM)(pp. 989-994). IEEE.
- Crosby, M., Pattanayak, P., Verma, S., & Kalyanaraman, V. (2016). Blockchain technology: Beyond bitcoin. Applied innovation, 2(6-10), 71. https://j2-capital.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AIR-2016-Blockchain.pdf
- Jang, H., & Lee, J. (2017). An empirical study on modeling and prediction of bitcoin prices with bayesian neural networks based on blockchain information. IEEE access, 6, 5427-5437. DOI: 1109/ACCESS.2017.2779181
- Yang, L., Liu, X. Y., Li, X., & Li, Y. (2019, October). Price prediction of cryptocurrency: an empirical study. International conference on smart blockchain(pp. 130-139). Springer, Cham. DOI: 1007/978-3-030-34083-4_13
- Fischer, T., & Krauss, C. (2018). Deep learning with long short-term memory networks for financial market predictions. European journal of operational research, 270(2), 654-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2017.11.054
- Rashid, T. A., Fattah, P., & Awla, D. K. (2018). Using accuracy measure for improving the training of LSTM with metaheuristic algorithms. Procedia computer science, 140, 324-333.
- Wu, T. Q., Yao, M., & Yang, J. H. (2016). Dolphin swarm algorithm. Frontiers of information technology & electronic engineering, 17(8), 717-729. DOI: 1631/FITEE.1500287
- Qiao, W., & Yang, Z. (2019). Modified dolphin swarm algorithm based on chaotic maps for solving high-dimensional function optimization problems. IEEE access, 7, 110472-110486. DOI: 1109/ACCESS.2019.2931910
- Ewees, A. A., Abd Elaziz, M., Alameer, Z., Ye, H., & Jianhua, Z. (2020). Improving multilayer perceptron neural network using chaotic grasshopper optimization algorithm to forecast iron ore price volatility. Resources policy, 65, 101555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resourpol.2019.101555
- Heidari, A. A., Faris, H., Aljarah, I., & Mirjalili, S. (2019). An efficient hybrid multilayer perceptron neural network with grasshopper optimization. Soft computing, 23(17), 7941-7958. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00500-018-3424-2
- Zhou, C., Yin, K., Cao, Y., & Ahmed, B. (2016). Application of time series analysis and PSO–SVM model in predicting the Bazimen landslide in the three gorges reservoir, China. Engineering geology, 204, 108-120. DOI: 1016/j.enggeo.2016.02.009
- Albariqi, R., & Winarko, E. (2020, February). Prediction of bitcoin price change using neural networks. 2020 international conference on smart technology and applications (ICoSTA)(pp. 1-4). IEEE. DOI: 1109/ICoSTA48221.2020.1570610936
- Hitam, N. A., Ismail, A. R., & Saeed, F. (2019). An optimized support vector machine (SVM) based on particle swarm optimization (PSO) for cryptocurrency forecasting. Procedia computer science, 163, 427-433. DOI: 1016/j.procs.2019.12.125
- Kurbucz, M. T. (2019). Predicting the price of bitcoin by the most frequent edges of its transaction network. Economics letters, 184, 108655. DOI: 1016/j.econlet.2019.108655
- Chen, C. C., Chang, J. H., Lin, F. C., Hung, J. C., Lin, C. S., & Wang, Y. H. (2019, December). Comparison of forcasting ability between backpropagation network and ARIMA in the prediction of bitcoin price. 2019 international symposium on intelligent signal processing and communication systems (ISPACS)(pp. 1-2). IEEE. DOI: 1109/ISPACS48206.2019.8986297
- Heo, J. S., Kwon, D. H., Kim, J. B., Han, Y. H., & An, C. H. (2018). Prediction of cryptocurrency price trend using gradient boosting. KIPS transactions on software and data engineering, 7(10), 387-396. DOI: 3745/KTSDE.2018.7.10.387
- Xiong, L., & Lu, Y. (2017, April). Hybrid ARIMA-BPNN model for time series prediction of the Chinese stock market. 3rd international conference on information management (ICIM) (pp. 93-97). IEEE. DOI: 1109/INFOMAN.2017.7950353
- Katsiampa, P. (2017). Volatility estimation for bitcoin: a comparison of GARCH models. Economics letters, 158, 3-6. DOI: 1016/j.econlet.2017.06.023
- Radityo, A., Munajat, Q., & Budi, I. (2017, October). Prediction of bitcoin exchange rate to American dollar using artificial neural network methods. International conference on advanced computer science and information systems (ICACSIS) (pp. 433-438). IEEE. DOI: 1109/ICACSIS.2017.8355070
- Sin, E., & Wang, L. (2017, July). Bitcoin price prediction using ensembles of neural networks. 13th international conference on natural computation, fuzzy systems and knowledge discovery (ICNC-FSKD) (pp. 666-671). IEEE. DOI: 1109/FSKD.2017.8393351
- Greaves, A., & Au, B. (2015). Using the bitcoin transaction graph to predict the price of bitcoin. Retrieved from http://snap.stanford.edu/class/cs224w-2015/projects_2015/Using_the_Bitcoin_Transaction_Graph_to_Predict_the_Price_of_Bitcoin.pdf
- Madan, I., Saluja, S., & Zhao, A. (2015). Automated bitcoin trading via machine learning algorithms. Retrieved from http://cs229.stanford.edu/proj2014/Isaac%20Madan,%20Shaurya%20Saluja,%20Aojia %20Zhao,Automated%20Bitcoin%20Trading%20via%20Machine%20Learning%20Algorithms.pdf
- Chen, Zh., Li, C., & Sun, W. (2020). Bitcoin price prediction using machine learning: an approach to sample dimension engineering. Journal of computational and applied mathematics, 365, 112395. DOI: 1016/j.cam.2019.112395
- Dutta, A., Kumar, S., & Basu, M. (2020). A gated recurrent unit approach to bitcoin price prediction. Journal of risk and financial management, 13(2), 23. DOI: 3390/jrfm13020023
- Yamak, P. T., Yujian, L., & Gadosey, P. K. (2019, December). A comparison between arima, lstm, and gru for time series forecasting. Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on algorithms, computing and artificial intelligence (pp. 49-55). Association for computing machinery. New York, NY, United States. DOI: 1145/3377713.3377722
- Hashish, I. A., Forni, F., Andreotti, G., Facchinetti, T., & Darjani, S. (2019, September). A hybrid model for bitcoin prices prediction using hidden Markov models and optimized LSTM networks. 24th IEEE international conference on emerging technologies and factory automation (ETFA) (pp. 721-728). IEEE. DOI: 1109/ETFA.2019.8869094
- Li, L., Arab, A., Liu, J., Liu, J., & Han, Z. (2019, July). Bitcoin options pricing using LSTM-based prediction model and blockchain statistics. 2019 IEEE international conference on Blockchain (Blockchain) (pp. 67-74). IEEE. DOI: 1109/Blockchain.2019.00018
- Zhengyang, W., Xingzhou, L., Jinjin, R., & Jiaqing, K. (2019, June). Prediction of cryptocurrency price dynamics with multiple machine learning techniques. Proceedings of the 4th international conference on machine learning technologies (pp. 15-19). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, United States. DOI: 1145/3340997.3341008
- Aggarwal, A., Gupta, I., Garg, N., & Goel, A. (2019, August). Deep learning approach to determine the impact of socio economic factors on bitcoin price prediction. 2019 twelfth international conference on contemporary computing (IC3) (pp. 1-5). IEEE. DOI: 1109/IC3.2019.8844928
- Felizardo, L., Oliveira, R., Del-Moral-Hernandez, E., & Cozman, F. (2019, October). Comparative study of Bitcoin price prediction using wavenets, recurrent neural networks and other machine learning methods. 6th international conference on behavioral, economic and socio-cultural computing (BESC) (pp. 1-6). IEEE. DOI: 1109/BESC48373.2019.8963009
- Yiying, W., & Yeze, Z. (2019, March). Cryptocurrency price analysis with artificial intelligence. 5th international conference on information management (ICIM) (pp. 97-101). IEEE. DOI: 1109/INFOMAN.2019.8714700
- Karakoyun, E. S., & Cibikdiken, A. O. (2018, May). Comparison of arima time series model and lstm deep learning algorithm for bitcoin price forecasting. The 13th multidisciplinary academic conference in Prague(Vol. 2018, pp. 171-180). MAC Prague Consulting s.r. o.
- Lv, L., Kong, W., Qi, J., & Zhang, J. (2018). An improved long short-term memory neural network for stock forecast. 2nd international conference on electronic information technology and computer engineering (EITCE 2018) (Vol. 232, p. 01024). EDP Sciences. DOI: 1051/matecconf/201823201024
- McNally, S., Roche, J., & Caton, S. (2018, March). Predicting the price of bitcoin using machine learning. 26th euromicro international conference on parallel, distributed and network-based processing (PDP) (pp. 339-343). IEEE. DOI: 1109/PDP2018.2018.00060
- Jafarian-Namin, S., Goli, A., Qolipour, M., Mostafaeipour, A., & Golmohammadi, A. M. (2019). Forecasting the wind power generation using Box–Jenkins and hybrid artificial intelligence: a case study. International journal of energy sector management, 13(4), 1038-1062. DOI: 1108/IJESM-06-2018-0002
- Goli, A., Moeini, E., Shafiee, A. M., Zamani, M., & Touti, E. (2020). Application of improved artificial intelligence with runner-root meta-heuristic algorithm for dairy products industry: a case study. International journal on artificial intelligence tools, 29(05), 2050008. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218213020500086
- Ansari, A., Ahmad, I. S., Bakar, A. A., & Yaakub, M. R. (2020). A hybrid metaheuristic method in training artificial neural network for bankruptcy prediction. IEEE access, 8, 176640-176650. DOI: 1109/ACCESS.2020.3026529
- Saiedi, E., Broström, A., & Ruiz, F. (2021). Global drivers of cryptocurrency infrastructure adoption. Small business economics, 57(1), 353-406. DOI: 1007/s11187-019-00309-8