Document Type : Research Paper
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Kennesaw State University, Georgia, USA.
The Single-Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED) methodology proved to be an effective approach for reducing setup times on a bottleneck 66” Koppers rotary die-cutter machine center in a corrugated box plant. Root cause analysis techniques, such as a check sheet and control charts, aided the analysis. The supervisor and work crew, consisting of both the operator and setup person, played an integral role in reducing setup times by consenting to being videotaped during a typical setup and then breaking down the video to distinguish internal versus external steps. By converting many internal steps to external steps, average setup times were reduced from 55 minutes to 32 minutes, a 42% improvement.
- Ahmad, R., & Soberi, M. S. F. (2018). Changeover process improvement based on modified SMED method and other process improvement tools application: an improvement project of 5-axis CNC machine operation in advanced composite manufacturing industry. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 94(1), 433-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0827-7
- Almomani, M. A., Aladeemy, M., Abdelhadi, A., & Mumani, A. (2013). A proposed approach for setup time reduction through integrating conventional SMED method with multiple criteria decision-making techniques. Computers & industrial engineering, 66(2), 461-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2013.07.011
- Amrina, U., Junaedi, D., & Prasetyo, E. (2018, November). Setup reduction in injection moulding machine type JT220RAD by applying single minute's exchange of die (SMED). IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 453, No. 1, p. 012033). IOP Publishing.
- Arief, R. K., & Nurlaila, Q. (2019, August). Setup time efficiencies of quick die change system in metal stamping process. IOP conference series: materials science and engineering(Vol. 602, No. 1, p. 012040). IOP Publishing.
- Braglia, M., Frosolini, M., & Gallo, M. (2017). SMED enhanced with 5-Whys Analysis to improve set-upreduction programs: the SWAN approach. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 90(5), 1845-1855. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-016-9477-4
- Cakmakci, M. (2009). Process improvement: performance analysis of the setup time reduction-SMED in the automobile industry. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 41(1), 168-179. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-008-1434-4
- Cakmakci, M., & Karasu, M. K. (2007). Set-up time reduction process and integrated predetermined time system MTM-UAS: a study of application in a large size company of automobile industry. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 33(3), 334-344. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0466-x
- Roy, M. D., & Sana, S. S. (2021). Production rate and lot-size dependent lead time reduction strategies in a supply chain model with stochastic demand, controllable setup cost and trade-credit financing. RAIRO: recherche opérationnelle, 55, S1469 - S1485. https://doi.org/10.1051/ro/2020112
- Deros, B. M., Mohamad, D., Idris, M. H., Rahman, M. N., Ghani, J. A., & Ismail, A. R. (2011). Cost saving in an automotive battery assembly line using setup time reduction. 11th WSEAS international conference on robotics, control and manufacturing technology (pp. 144-148). World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society.
- Filho, M. G., & Uzsoy, R. (2013). The impact of simultaneous continuous improvement in setup time and repair time on manufacturing cycle times under uncertain conditions. International journal of production research, 51(2), 447-464. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2011.652261
- Kato, A., Maeno, T., Owada, Y., Sato, G., Temma, K., Kuri, T., ... & Ishihara, S. (2021). Link setup time reduction by FILS on IEEE 802.11-based inter-vehicular communications. IEEE access, 9, 159796-159808. DOI:1109/ACCESS.2021.3128974
- King, P. L. (2009). SMED in the process industries-Improved flow through shorter product changeover. Industrial engineer, 41(9), 30.
- Kumar, K., & Aouam, T. (2018). Effect of setup time reduction on supply chain safety stocks. Journal of manufacturing systems, 49, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2018.08.001
- Lora-Soto, A., Morales-Silva, C., Llontop-Jesus, J., & Mamani, N. (2020, August). Process improvement proposal for the reduction of machine setup time in a copper transformation company using lean manufacturing tools. International conference on human interaction and emerging technologies(pp. 585-591). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-55307-4_89
- Lozano, J., Saenz-Díez, J. C., Martínez, E., Jiménez, E., & Blanco, J. (2017). Methodology to improve machine changeover performance on food industry based on SMED. The international journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 90(9), 3607-3618. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-016-9686-x
- Malik, A. I., & Sarkar, B. (2018). Optimizing a multi-product continuous-review inventory model with uncertain demand, quality improvement, setup cost reduction, and variation control in lead time. IEEE access, 6, 36176-36187. DOI:1109/ACCESS.2018.2849694
- Orta-Lozano, M. M., & Villarreal, B. (2015, March). Achieving competitiveness through setup time reduction. 2015 international conference on industrial engineering and operations management (IEOM)(pp. 1-7). IEEE. DOI: 1109/IEOM.2015.7093897
- Pacheco, D. A. D. J., & Heidrich, G. D. G. (2021). Revitalising the setup reduction activities in Operations Management. Production planning & control, 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2021.1964881
- Rosa, C., Silva, F. J. G., Ferreira, L. P., & Campilho, R. D. S. G. (2017). SMED methodology: the reduction of setup times for Steel Wire-Rope assembly lines in the automotive industry. Procedia manufacturing, 13, 1034-1042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2017.09.110
- Sarkar, B., Guchhait, R., Sarkar, M., Pareek, S., & Kim, N. (2019). Impact of safety factors and setup time reduction in a two-echelon supply chain management. Robotics and computer-integrated manufacturing, 55, 250-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2018.05.001
- Shingo, S. (1985). A revolution in manufacturing: the SMED system. Stamford, CT: Productivity Press. https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Manufacturing-SMED-System/dp/0915299038
- Trovinger, S. C., & Bohn, R. E. (2005). Setup time reduction for electronics assembly: combining simple (SMED) and IT‐based methods. Production and operations management, 14(2), 205-217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2005.tb00019.x
- Utiyama, M. H. R., Godinho Filho, M., & Oprime, P. C. (2021). An alternative for improving setup times and time between failures aiming at manufacturing lead time reduction. Production engineering, 15(5), 651-665. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11740-021-01048-0