Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Government College of Technology, Coimbatore-641013, Tamilnadu, India.
To enhance the manufacturing process capability of a refractory company, the scope for implementing the Lean Six Sigma (LSS) methodology is analyzed in this work. The DMAIC methodology of Six Sigma is used in this project to determine the Critical to Quality Characteristics (CTQs), defining the possible causes, identifying the variation in sources, establishing the variable relationships, and implementing the control plans. It was found from the DMAIC approach that the quality of Raw Crude, Water Content, and the frequency of using Temperature Calibration Equipment are the main factors responsible for lowering Productivity in Shaft Kiln. To improve the productivity of Kiln, it was suggested to process the raw crude free of mud, remove the moisture content present in the magnesite stones and take action on changing the frequency of measuring the oil feeding calibration equipment.
- Arcidiacono, G., & Pieroni, A. (2018). The revolution lean six sigma 4.0. International journal on advanced science, engineering and information technology, 8(1), 141-149.
- Tampubolon, S., & Purba, H. H. (2021). Lean six sigma implementation, a systematic literature review. International journal of production management and engineering, 9(2), 125-139.
- Kowang, T. O., Yew, L. K., Hee, O. C., Fei, G. C., & Long, C. S. (2019). Lean six sigma implementation: does success means sustainability. International journal of academic research in business and social sciences, 9(6), 907-914.
- Assarlind, M., Gremyr, I., & Bäckman, K. (2013). Multi‐faceted views on a lean six sigma application.International journal of quality & reliability management, 29(1), 21-30.
- Drohomeretski, E., Gouvea da Costa, S. E., Pinheiro de Lima, E., & Garbuio, P. A. D. R. (2014). Lean, six sigma and lean six sigma: an analysis based on operations strategy. International journal of production research, 52(3), 804-824.
- Singh, J., Singh, H., Singh, A., & Singh, J. (2020). Managing industrial operations by lean thinking using value stream mapping and six sigma in manufacturing unit: case studies. Management decision, 58(6), 1118-1148.
- Wyrwicka, M. K., & Mrugalska, B. (2017). Mirages of lean manufacturing in practice. Procedia engineering, 182, 780-785. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.03.200
- Moya, C. A., Galvez, D., Muller, L., & Camargo, M. (2019). A new framework to support lean six sigma deployment in SMEs. International journal of lean six sigma, 10(1), 58-80.
- Tortorella, G., & Fettermann, D. (2018). Help chain in companies undergoing a lean implementation: the impact of critical success factors on quality and efficiency performance. International journal of lean six sigma, 9(1), 113-132.
- John, B., & Areshankar, A. (2018). Reduction of rework in bearing end plate using six sigma methodology: a case study. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 5(1), 10-26.
- John, B., & Chowdhury, K. K. (2021). Minimizing the dry content variation in the pulp drying process using six sigma methodology. Operations research forum,2, 1-21). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43069-021-00110-y
- Hill, J., Thomas, A. J., Mason-Jones, R. K., & El-Kateb, S. (2018). The implementation of a lean six sigma framework to enhance operational performance in an MRO facility. Production & manufacturing research, 6(1), 26-48.
- Indrawati, S., & Ridwansyah, M. (2015). Manufacturing continuous improvement using lean six sigma: an iron ores industry case application. Procedia manufacturing, 4, 528-534.
- Garza-Reyes, J. A., Al-Balushi, M., Antony, J., & Kumar, V. (2016). A lean six sigma framework for the reduction of ship loading commercial time in the iron ore pelletising industry. Production planning and control, 27(13), 1092–1111.
- Albliwi, S. A., Antony, J., & halim Lim, S. A. (2015). A systematic review of lean six sigma for the manufacturing industry. Business process management journal, 21(3), 665-691.
- JJie, J. C. R., Kamaruddin, S., & Azid, I. A. (2014). Implementing the lean six sigma framework in a small medium enterprise (SME)—a case study in a printing company. Proceedings of the 2014 international conference on industrial engineering and operations management Bali (pp. 387-395), Indonesia. http://ieomsociety.org/ieom2014/pdfs/86.pdf
- Jirasukprasert, P., Garza-Reyes, J. A., Kumar, V., & Lim, M. K. (2014). A six sigma and DMAIC application for the reduction of defects in a rubber gloves manufacturing process. International journal of lean six sigma, 5(1), 2-21. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLSS-03-2013-0020
- Ketan, H., & Nassir, M. (2016). Aluminium hot extrusion process capability improvement using six sigma. Advances in production engineering & management, 11(1) 59-69.
- Gijo, E. V., Scaria, J., & Antony, J. (2011). Application of six sigma methodology to reduce defects of a grinding process. Quality and reliability engineering international, 27(8), 1221-1234.
- Nascimento, D. L. D. M., Goncalvez Quelhas, O. L., Gusmao Caiado, R. G., Tortorella, G. L., Garza-Reyes, J. A., & Rocha-Lona, L. (2019). A lean six sigma framework for continuous and incremental improvement in the oil and gas sector. International journal of lean six sigma, 11(3), 577-595.
- Vinodh, S., Gautham, S. G., & Ramiya R., A. (2011). Implementing lean sigma framework in an Indian automotive valves manufacturing organisation: a case study. Production planning & control, 22(7), 708-722.
- Barnabé, F., Giorgino, M. C., Guercini, J., & Bianciardi, C. (2016). Performance enhancement and continuous improvement in healthcare: how lean six sigma “hits the target”. International journal of business and social science, 7(5), 21-3
- Brown, R., Grehan, P., Brennan, M., Carter, D., Brady, A., Moore, E., Teeling, S. P., Ward, M., & Eaton, D. (2019). Using lean six sigma to improve rates of day of surgery admission in a national thoracic surgery department. International journal for quality in health care, 31(1), 1421. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzz083
- Elbermawy, M. F., Al Manhawy, A. A., & Ibrahim, H. E. A. (2014). Implementation of lean six sigma for improving supply chain processes in a pharmaceutical industry. International journal of scientific & engineering research, 5(8), 519-529.
- Furterer, S. L. (2011). Applying lean six sigma to reduce linen loss in an acute care hospital. International journal of engineering, science and technology, 3(7), 39-55.
- Kremcheeva, D. A., & Kremcheev, E. A. (2019). Implementation of the six sigma method in the educational process. Journal of physics: conference series, 1384(1), 012022. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/1384/1/012022/pdf
- Li, N., Laux, C. M., & Antony, J. (2019). How to use lean six sigma methodology to improve service process in higher education: a case study. International journal of lean six sigma, 10(4), 883-908.
- Maleszka, A., & Linke, M. (2016). Improvement of management process by using lean six sigma tools in some big organisation of food industry. Polish journal of natural sciences, 31(1), 101-112.
- Kundu, G., & Murali Manohar, B. (2012). Critical success factors for implementing lean practices in it support services. International journal for quality research, 6(4), 301-312.
- John, B., & Parikh, P. (2020). Improving the insurance claim processing process using six sigma methodology. International journal of six sigma and competitive advantage, 12(4), 348-368.