Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India.
The objectives of this work are to investigate the status of implementation of quality initiatives by manufacturing firms in Madhya Pradesh, India, and to compare large and small-medium scale industries. Very few researchers have attempted to compare large scale and small-medium scale firms in order to know the extent of implementation of quality initiatives for a state like Madhya Pradesh. In this study, the survey questionnaire method was used for the collection of data. Nine quality initiatives were selected for the study. The obtained data are grouped into two groups: 1) large scale firms, and 2) small-medium scale firms. Descriptive and inferential statistics are used for analysis and the results are presented. Hypothesis testing was used to investigate for any significant difference between the two groups of firms in implementing each quality initiative. Results from inferential statistics reveal that there is a significant difference in the implementation of quality initiatives in large and small-medium scale industries. The findings of the present work will guide firms to identify areas where improvement is required at each quality initiative level. The study will help small-medium scale firms in the Madhya Pradesh state of India to conduct training programs in the areas of relevant quality initiatives for improving their quality of products.
- Jain, R. K., & Samrat, A. (2015). A study of quality practices of manufacturing industries in Gujarat. Procedia-social and behavioral sciences, 189, 320-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.03.228
- Chakraborty, A. (2019). Quality management practices in Indian SMEs. In Quality management and quality control-new trends and developments. IntechOpen. DOI: 5772/intechopen.83550
- Maguad, B. A. (2006). The modern quality movement: origins, development and trends. Total quality management & business excellence, 17(2), 179-203. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360500450608
- Bhatia, M. S., & Awasthi, A. (2014). Investigating effectiveness of quality management systems. IIE annual conference. Proceedings(p. 1594). Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE). 1594-1603.
- Sandström, D., & Svanberg, M. (2011). Preparing to overcome the barriers of implementing a quality management system: a case study of EDB Card Services AS, Umea School of Business, Degree Project. https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:499992
- Prajogo, D., Chowdhury, M., Yeung, A. C., & Cheng, T. C. E. (2012). The relationship between supplier management and firm's operational performance: a multi-dimensional perspective. International journal of production economics, 136(1), 123-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.09.022
- Martínez-Costa, M., Martínez-Lorente, A. R., & Choi, T. Y. (2008). Simultaneous consideration of TQM and ISO 9000 on performance and motivation: an empirical study of Spanish companies. International journal of production economics, 113(1), 23-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.02.046
- Majumdar, J. P., & Manohar, B. M. (2016). Why Indian manufacturing SMEs are still reluctant in adopting total quality management. International journal of productivity and quality management, 17(1), 16-35. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJPQM.2016.073273
- Kumar, M., Khurshid, K. K., & Waddell, D. (2014). Status of Quality Management practices in manufacturing SMEs: a comparative study between Australia and the UK. International journal of production research, 52(21), 6482-6495. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2014.948574
- Singh, L. P., Bhardwaj, A., & Sachdeva, A. (2006). Quality management practices vs. performance of SMEs: an empirical study of Indian industries. 2006 technology management for the global future-PICMET 2006 conference(Vol. 5, pp. 2393-2399). IEEE. DOI: 1109/PICMET.2006.296826
- Mandal, P., Shah, K., Love, P. E. D., & Li, H. (1999). The diffusion of quality in Australian manufacturing. International journal of quality & reliability management, 16(6), 575-590.
- Abbasi, M. S. K., Memon, N. A., Ali, T. H., Khahro, S. H., & Khahro, Q. H. (2020). Barriers and benefits of quality management system in construction industry of Pakistan. International journal of advanced science and technology, 29(8s), 3980-3986. http://sersc.org/journals/index.php/IJAST
- Mutingi, M., & Chakraborty, A. (2021). Quality management practices in Namibian SMEs: An empirical investigation. Global business review, 22(2), 381-395.
- Chakraborty, A., Mutingi, M., & Vashishth, A. (2019). Quality management practices in SMEs: a comparative study between India and Namibia. Benchmarking: an international journal, 26(5), 1499-1516.
- Gutierrez, L. J. G., Torres, I. T., & Molina, V. B. (2010). Quality management initiatives in Europe: an empirical analysis according to their structural elements. Total quality management, 21(6), 577-601. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2010.483064
- Assarlind, M., & Gremyr, I. (2014). Critical factors for quality management initiatives in small-and medium-sized enterprises. Total quality management & business excellence, 25(3-4), 397-411. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2013.851330
- Thawesaengskulthai, N. (2010). An empirical framework for selecting quality management and improvement initiatives. International journal of quality & reliability management, 27(2), 156-172.
- Nguyen, M. H., Anh, P. C., & Matsui, Y. (2021). A comparative study of quality management practices between Vietnamese and Japanese manufacturing plants. International journal of productivity and quality management, 33(1), 127-156.
- Gandara, G. S., Muri, R., & Purba, H. H. (2019). Increase service selling of formaldehyde products by implementing quality function deployment (QFD). Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 6(3), 219-231.
- Saputra, T. M., Hernadewita, H., Prawira Saputra, A. Y., Kusumah, L. H., & ST, H. (2019). Quality improvement of molding machine through statistical process control in plastic industry. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 6(2), 87-96. http://www.journal-aprie.com/article_82682.html
- Hernadewita, H., Ismail, M., Nurdin, M., & Kusumah, L. (2019). Improvement of magazine production quality using six sigma method: case study of a PT. XYZ. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 6(1), 71-79.