Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Systems and Industrial Engineering, Kennesaw State University, Marietta, GA, USA.
Root cause analysis techniques are often applied to problems in the workplace; however, they may also prove very useful to home projects. This research explores the application of two root cause analysis techniques in home projects: (1) 5 Whys to determine the root cause of a home air conditioning unit that runs continuously but does not cool, and (2) an innovative Lean PFMEA to repair a John Deere riding mower that starts, then stops. Employing the 5 Whys technique led to the discovery of incorrect color-coded wiring from the original air conditioning unit to the thermostat. Lean PFMEA enabled a correct diagnosis and resolution of the mower start/stop issue via a Kaizen event, grass clippings in the fuel line, which was remedied by cleaning the fuel tank and replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter, and carburetor. These techniques provide Lean methodological approaches to problem-solving, which often leads to reduced homeowner aggravation, repair time, and repair expense.
- Womack, J. P., Jones, D. T., & Roos, D. (2007). The machine that changed the world: the story of lean production--Toyota's secret weapon in the global car wars that is now revolutionizing world industry. Simon and Schuster.
- Aherne, J., & Whelton, J. (Eds.). (2010). Applying lean in healthcare: a collection of international case studies. CRC Press.
- Bowerman, J. (2007). Introducing Lean in healthcare. Bradford: Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Hadfield, D. (2006). Lean healthcare: implementing 5s in lean or Six SIGMA projects: 5 keys for improving the workplace environment. MCS Media. https://www.amazon.com/Lean-Healthcare-improving-workplace-environment-ebook/dp/B001DA3H06
- Keyser, R. S. (2022). Lean in education: mistake-proofing methods used by teachers at a magnet high school. Journal of management & engineering integration, 12(1), 49-58.
- Martínez Sanahuja, S. (2020). Towards lean teaching: non-value-added issues in education. Education sciences, 10(6), 160.
- Keyser, R. S., Marella, V. K., & Clay, K. (2017). Lean restaurants: improving the dining experience. Journal of higher education theory and practice, 17(7), 67-79.
- Keyser, R. S. (2021). Lean at home: applying RCA techniques to home projects. Journal of applied research on industrial engineering, 8(2), 104-115.
- Martinez, F. (2019). Lean home services in Czech Republic. International journal of Lean Six Sigma, 10(3), 784-802.
- Brown, K. A., Schmitt, T. G., Schonberger, R. J., & Dennis, S. (2004). Quadrant Homes applies lean concepts in a project environment. Interfaces, 34(6), 442-450.
- Krafcik, J. F. (1988). Triumph of the lean production system. Sloan management review, 30(1), 41-52.
- Ohno, T. (1988). Toyota production system: beyond large scale production. Productivity Press, New York.
- Womack, J. P., & Jones, D. T. (1997). Lean thinking—banish waste and create wealth in your corporation. Journal of the operational research society, 48(11), 1148-1148. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2600967
- Chay, T., Xu, Y., Tiwari, A., & Chay, F. (2015). Towards lean transformation: the analysis of lean implementation frameworks. Journal of manufacturing technology management, 26(7), 1031-1052.
- Swank, C. K. (2003). The lean service machine. Harvard business review, 81(10), 123-130.
- Antony, J., Forthun, S. C., Trakulsunti, Y., Farrington, T., McFarlane, J., Brennan, A., & Dempsey, M. (2019). An exploratory study into the use of Lean Six Sigma to reduce medication errors in the Norwegian public healthcare context. Leadership in health services, 32(4), 509-524.
- Laureani, A., Brady, M., & Antony, J. (2013). Applications of lean six sigma in an Irish hospital. Leadership in health services, 26(4), 322-337.
- Matthias, O., & Brown, S. (2016). Implementing operations strategy through Lean processes within health care: the example of NHS in the UK. International journal of operations & production management, 36(11), 1435-1457.
- Cohen, R. I. (2018). Lean methodology in health care. Chest, 154(6), 1448-1454.
- Kimsey, D. B. (2010). Lean methodology in health care. AORN journal, 92(1), 53-60.
- Montella, E., Di Cicco, M. V., Ferraro, A., Centobelli, P., Raiola, E., Triassi, M., & Improta, G. (2017). The application of Lean Six Sigma methodology to reduce the risk of healthcare–associated infections in surgery departments. Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, 23(3), 530-539.
- Johnson, S., Hartigan, S., Holt, E., Sop, D., McHenry, C., Lipato, T., ... & Smith, W. R. (2019). Using Lean Six Sigma to develop a patient centered medical home for adults with sickle cell disease. Blood, 134, 3408.
- Alves, A. C., Flumerfelt, S., & Kahlen, F. J. (Eds.). (2016). Lean education: an overview of current issues. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45830-4
- Balzer, W. K. (2020). Lean higher education: Increasing the value and performance of university processes. CRC Press.
- Antony, J., Krishan, N., Cullen, D., & Kumar, M. (2012). Lean Six Sigma for higher education institutions (HEIs): challenges, barriers, success factors, tools/techniques. International journal of productivity and performance management, 61(8), 940-948.
- Vukadinovic, S., Djapan, M., & Macuzic, I. (2017). Education for lean & lean for education: a literature review. International journal for quality research, 11(1), 35.
- Doman, M. S. (2011). A new lean paradigm in higher education: a case study. Quality assurance in education, 19(3), 248-262.
- LeMahieu, P. G., Nordstrum, L. E., & Greco, P. (2017). Lean for education. Quality assurance in education, 25(1), 74-90.
- Klein, L. L., Tonetto, M. S., Avila, L. V., & Moreira, R. (2021). Management of lean waste in a public higher education institution. Journal of cleaner production, 286, 125386.
- Gadre, A., Cudney, E., & Corns, S. (2011). Model development of a virtual learning environment to enhance lean education. Procedia computer science, 6, 100-105.
- Dora, M., & Gellynck, X. (2015). Lean Six Sigma implementation in a food processing SME: a case study. Quality and reliability engineering international, 31(7), 1151-1159.
- Dora, M., Van Goubergen, D., Kumar, M., Molnar, A., & Gellynck, X. (2013). Application of lean practices in small and medium-sized food enterprises. British food journal, 116(1), 125-141.
- Psomas, E., Antony, J., & Bouranta, N. (2018). Assessing lean adoption in food SMEs: evidence from Greece. International journal of quality & reliability management, 35(1), 64-81.
- Van Goubergen, D., Dora, M., Molnar, A., Gellynck, X., & Kumar, M. (2011). Lean application among European food SMEs: findings from empirical research. IIE annual conference. Proceedings (p. 1). Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE).
- Powell, D., Lundeby, S., Chabada, L., & Dreyer, H. (2017). Lean Six Sigma and environmental sustainability: the case of a Norwegian dairy producer. International journal of lean six sigma, 8(1), 53-64.
- Costa, L. B. M., Godinho Filho, M., Fredendall, L. D., & Ganga, G. M. D. (2021). Lean six sigma in the food industry: construct development and measurement validation. International journal of production economics, 231, 107843.
- Singh, C., Singh, D., & Khamba, J. S. (2021). Exploring an alignment of lean practices on the health and safety of workers in manufacturing industries. Materials today: proceedings, 47, 6696-6700.
- Aristizábal-Monsalve, P., Vásquez-Hernández, A., & Botero, L. F. B. (2022). Perceptions on the processes of sustainable rating systems and their combined application with Lean construction. Journal of building engineering, 46, 103627.
- Tsao, C. C., Tommelein, I. D., Swanlund, E. S., & Howell, G. A. (2004). Work structuring to achieve integrated product–process design. Journal of construction engineering and management, 130(6), 780-789.
- Samuel, R., Rajesh, M., Rajanna, S., & Franklin, E. (2021). Implementation of lean manufacturing with the notion of quality improvement in electronics repair industry. Materials today: proceedings, 47, 2253-2257.
- Teixeira, P., Coelho, A., Fontoura, P., Sá, J. C., Silva, F. J., Santos, G., & Ferreira, L. P. (2022). Combining lean and green practices to achieve a superior performance: the contribution for a sustainable development and competitiveness—an empirical study on the Portuguese context. Corporate social responsibility and environmental management, 29(4), 887-903.
- Udokporo, C. K., Anosike, A., Lim, M., Nadeem, S. P., Garza-Reyes, J. A., & Ogbuka, C. P. (2020). Impact of lean, agile and green (LAG) on business competitiveness: an empirical study of fast moving consumer goods businesses. Resources, conservation and recycling, 156, 104714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2020.104714
- Silva, S., Sá, J. C., Silva, F. J., Ferreira, L. P., & Santos, G. (2020). Lean green—the importance of integrating environment into lean philosophy—a case study. Proceedings of the 6th European lean educator conference: ELEC 2019 6 (pp. 211-219). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-41429-0_21
- Das, K. (2018). Integrating lean systems in the design of a sustainable supply chain model. International journal of production economics, 198, 177-190.
- Ainul Azyan, Z. H., Pulakanam, V., & Pons, D. (2017). Success factors and barriers to implementing lean in the printing industry: a case study and theoretical framework. Journal of manufacturing technology management, 28(4), 458-484.
- Gangidi, P. (2018). A systematic approach to root cause analysis using 3× 5 why’s technique. International journal of lean six sigma, 10(1), 295-310.
- Rooney, J. J., & Heuvel, L. N. V. (2004). Root cause analysis for beginners. Quality progress, 37(7), 45-56.
- John, B., & Kadadevaramath, R. S. (2020). Improving the resolution time performance of an application support process using Six Sigma methodology. International journal of lean six sigma, 11(4), 663-686.
- Ashok Sarkar, S., Ranjan Mukhopadhyay, A., & Ghosh, S. K. (2013). Improvement of claim processing cycle time through Lean Six Sigma methodology. International journal of lean six sigma, 4(2), 171-183.
- John, B., & Parikh, P. (2020). Improving the insurance claim processing process using Six Sigma methodology. International journal of six sigma and competitive advantage, 12(4), 348-368.
- Sá, J. C., Vaz, S. Carvalho, O., Lima, V., Morgado, L., Fonseca, L., Doiro, M., & Santos, G. (2022). A model of integration ISO 9001 with Lean six sigma and main benefits achieved. Total quality management & business excellence, 33(1-2), 218-242. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2020.1829969
- Keyser, R. S., & Sawhney, R. S. (2013). Reliability in lean systems. International journal of quality & reliability management, 30(3), 223-238.
- Keyser, R. S., Sawhney, R. S., & Marella, L. (2016). A management framework for understanding change in a lean environment. Tékhne, 14(1), 31-44.
- Serrat, O., & Serrat, O. (2017). The five whys technique. In Knowledge solutions: tools, methods, and approaches to drive organizational performance (pp. 307-310). Springer.
- King, R. H., & Baum, N. (2018). Problem solving in the medical practice using the five whys. Journal of medical practice management: MPM, 34(3), 177-179.
- Arabian-Hoseynabadi, H., Oraee, H., & Tavner, P. J. (2010). Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) for wind turbines. International journal of electrical power & energy systems, 32(7), 817-824.
- Cassanelli, G., Mura, G., Fantini, F., Vanzi, M., & Plano, B. (2006). Failure analysis-assisted FMEA. Microelectronics reliability, 46(9-11), 1795-1799.
- Lipol, L. S., & Haq, J. (2011). Risk analysis method: FMEA/FMECA in the organizations. International journal of basic & applied sciences, 11(5), 74-82.
- Baehr, A., Oertel, M., Kröger, K., Eich, H. T., & Haverkamp, U. (2020). Implementing a new scale for failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) for risk analysis in a radiation oncology department. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, 196, 1128-1134. https://doi.org/10.1007
- Kulińska, E., Masłowski, D., & Dendera-Gruszka, M. (2021). New application of FMEA analysis in the heavy industry supply chain. European research studies journal, 24(2B), 600-616.
- Das, I., Panchal, D., & Tyagi, M. (2022). A novel PFMEA-Doubly TOPSIS approach-based decision support system for risk analysis in milk process industry. International journal of quality & reliability management, 39(1), 1-29.
- Banduka, N., Veza, I., & Bilić, B. (2016). An integrated lean approach to process failure mode and effect analysis (PFMEA): a case study from automotive industry. Advances in production engineering and management, 11(4), 355-365. https://scidar.kg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/8986